20 | 09 | 16
Did You Know | England
DID YOU KNOW?
1) England have won their World Cup qualifying group in each of their previous five campaigns; they last failed to win it ahead of the 1994 finals, when they finished third.
2) Sam Allardyce became the ninth consecutive England manager to win his first game in charge, when Adam Lallana stole a late victory in Slovakia last month.
3) England have won each of their last 13 European Championship or World Cup qualifying matches.
4) England are bidding to win their first three qualifiers for the second time in three World Cup programmes.
5) Malta have played 93 World Cup qualifying games going back to 1972, and they have lost 82 of those whilst conceding 280 goals. Of the remaining 11, Malta have drawn nine and won just two, with just 31 goals scored. Malta’s first ever World Cup win came against Estonia in May 1993. Their last victory was against Armenia, in June 2013.
6) Malta had Jonathan Caruana and Luke Gambin sent off in the 5-1 defeat by Scotland. As a result, both players will be banned at Wembley. Sutton-born Barnet winger Gambin faces a possible increase to his automatic one-match suspension.
7) Chris Lawler scored on his debut for England, against Malta in a 5-0 European Championship qualifier in 1971. It was to be his only goal in four appearances for his country.
8) Emile Heskey netted the first of his seven goals for the Three Lions in the 2-1 friendly win against Malta in 2000.
9) Slovenia began their World Cup programme with a 2-2 draw with Lithuania in Vilnius after trailing 2-0. Skipper Bostjan Cesar’s goal three minutes into added time secured a draw. Before facing England, they are at home to Slovakia, on 8 October.
10) In five previous attempts, Slovenia have qualified twice for the World Cup finals – in 2002 and 2010.