21 | 09 | 16
Did You Know | Northern Ireland
DID YOU KNOW?
1) Northern Ireland have played San Marino twice, winning both and scoring seven goals without reply.
2) When Northern Ireland won 3-0 in Serravalle in 2009, it was the first time since 1968, when they beat Turkey in Istanbul, that they had scored three goals on their travels.
3) David Healy scored goals against both San Marino and Germany. The record Northern Ireland scorer found the net against Germany, in 2005, and again against San Marino in the 4-0 win in 2008 – the 35th goal of his 36.
4) Gareth McAuley scored this first of his eight international goals against San Marino in February 2009.
5) Grant McCann, now the manager of Peterborough United, scored only four goals for Northern Ireland – and two of those came against San Marino, both at home and away, in 2008 and 2009.
6) Chris Brunt has just one goal in his 54 appearances for his country – also against San Marino, in 2009.
7) Germany, the reigning world champions, are bidding to reach their 19th World Cup finals – having qualified for each of the 18 they have taken part in previously.
8) Remarkably, Germany have lost just two of their 86 World Cup qualifying games, winning 66, drawing 18 and scoring 255 goals while conceding just 66. Their only defeats were against Portugal (as West Germany) in 1985 and the 5-1 home thrashing by England, in 2001.
9) Not only did Billy McAdams become the first Northern Irishman to score a hat-trick, in the 4-3 defeat by West Germany, in 1960, he was the first British player to score three goals against the Germans.
10) Gerry Taggart made 71 appearances for Northern Ireland and though he scored just five goals, two of those were netted against Germany, in a 1-1 friendly in Bremen in 1992 – his first for his country – and in 3-1 World Cup qualifier in Belfast, in 1997.