21 | 09 | 16
Did You Know | Scotland
DID YOU KNOW?
1) The games against Lithuania and Slovakia will be Gordon Strachan’s 31st and 32nd games in charge of Scotland. Only Willie Ormond (38), Jock Stein and Andy Roxburgh (both 61) and Craig Brown (71) have managed more Scotland games.
2) Robert Snodgrass’s hat-trick for Scotland, in Malta, was the 38th scored by a Scotsman at international level.
3) He became the first Scotland player to score a hat-trick in a World Cup qualifier since Colin Stein in 1969.
4) Scotland are bidding to reach the World Cup finals for the first time since 1998.
5) Gary McSwegan made only two appearances for Scotland, scoring just once – against Lithuania in a European Championship qualifier in 1999.
6) Darren Ferguson scored his first ever goal for Scotland against Lithuania, as a 19-year-old Manchester United starlet, and in what was only his second appearance for his country.
7) Lithuania first took part in the World Cup as far back as 1933. They failed to qualify for the 1934 or 1938 finals before becoming part of the Soviet Union. They gained independence again in time to take part in the 1994 qualifiers and have participated every competition since, though they have never reached the finals.
8) Stephen McManus scored his first goal for Scotland against Lithuania in the 3-1 win in September 2007.
9) Christian Dailly scored the last of his six international goals in September 2006 – in Lithuania.
10) Slovakia are bidding to reach the World Cup finals for the second time. Since parting from Czechoslovakia, they have played 55 qualifiers, winning 26 and drawing 14. And they need seven goals for 100 in World Cup qualifiers.