20 | 10 | 16
DID YOU KNOW? | Northern Ireland
DID YOU KNOW?
1) Northern Ireland face Azerbaijan for the fifth time – and each of those games have been played in World Cup qualifiers. Two have been draws with one win apiece.
2) Stalwart Aaron Hughes won his 104th cap for Northern Ireland in Germany last month – 18 years after he made his debut. Hughes has featured in three of the four previous clashes with Azerbaijan.
3) Chris Baird also won three of his 79 caps against Azerbaijan.
4) Against Azerbaijan on 14 November 2012, David Healy came off the bench to score his first international goal for Northern Ireland for four years. It also proved to be the last of his 36 for his country.
5) In September 2005 Stuart Elliott scored his fourth – and last – goal for Northern Ireland against Azerbaijan in the 2-0 Windsor Park win.
6) Azerbaijan manager Robert Prosinecki netted four goals for Yugoslavia and 10 for Croatia during his playing career.
7) His third for Yugoslavia came against Northern Ireland in their 2-0 European Championship qualifying win at Windsor Park.
8) Mahir Shukurov scored the last of his four goals for Azerbaijan in the 2-0 World Cup win over Northern Ireland in 2013.
9) Dundalk midfielder Dean Shiels, now 31, made the last of his 14 Northern Ireland appearances against Azerbaijan in 2012.
10) Northern Ireland face Croatia for the first time. Previously they were part of Yugoslavia; in eight meetings with them, Northern Ireland won just once, while drawing one and losing six, including the last five.