21 | 09 | 16
Did You Know | Wales
DID YOU KNOW?
1) After his brace against Moldova, Gareth Bale is just four goals short of Ian Rush’s all-time Wales record goal haul. His second in the 4-0 win last week was his 24th in a Welsh shirt, moving him one ahead of Wales icons Ivor Allchurch and Trevor Ford.
2) Bale’s last 12 international goals have come in competitive fixtures.
3) Wales lead their World Cup qualifying group as they bid to reach the finals for the first time in 60 years.
4) Wales and Austria are the only teams in Group D boasting a winning start. Austria beat Georgia 2-1 last month in Tbilisi with first-half goals from Martin Hinteregger and Marc Janko.
5) In four visits to the Ernst Happel Stadion – formerly the Praterstadion – Wales have never won, losing three and drawing one.
6) The 2-0 home defeat by Austria in a World Cup qualifier in 2005 was John Toshack’s first competitive game in charge of his nation.
7) Arfon Griffiths claimed two of his six goals for Wales against Austria, in 1974 and 1975.
8) Manager Chris Coleman scored one of only four international goals against Austria, in 1992.
9) The only Welshman to score against Georgia is Jason Koumas. He netted the last of his 10 goals for Wales in the 2-1 friendly defeat in Swansea in 2008.
10) Joe Ledley is now in the top 10 cap-winners after making his 68th appearance against Moldova. The Crystal Palace midfielder will move ahead of Ivor Allchurch with his next cap.